Updated: Oct 28, 2020
Why do so many people drag their feet towards Yoga? Don’t let any of the misconceptions below keep you from starting a yoga practice that just might change your life!
1. I’M JUST NOT FLEXIBLE/CALM ENOUGH TO DO YOGA.
This is like saying you can’t take Spanish class because you don’t speak Spanish. If you take the class, you’ll probably learn some Spanish. If you take a yoga class, you’ll probably gain some flexibility and calmness.
2. I HAVE TO LOSE SOME WEIGHT BEFORE I START YOGA.
Why? People of all shapes and sizes are going to be in class. And if weight loss happens to be one of your goals, yoga might help. Thankfully even restorative yoga—the gentlest of yoga practices—has actually been shown to lead to weight loss. It turns out that when our bodies relax, as they do through restorative yoga, they are able to metabolize food more effectively.
3. YOGA IS OUTRAGEOUSLY EXPENSIVE.
No point in denying it, Yoga can be outrageously expensive, however community based yoga and on line yoga is somewhat cheaper. It doesn’t get much cheaper than YourFreeYoga.com, where all classes are Free.
4. I HAVE TO WEAR TIGHT, EXPENSIVE YOGA CLOTHES.
No, you just need to wear whatever allows you to move freely and feel comfortable. Doing Yoga on line you can even turn your camera off J
5. I NEED TO BE FEELING ENERGETIC TO DO YOGA. AND I’M JUST TOO TIRED AFTER WORK. OR BEFORE WORK. OR AT LUNCH. WHENEVER YOGA IS, I’M BEAT.
6. YOGA IS GOING TO BE WAY TOO EASY.
I would say there is a good chance that no matter how much you can bench press or how far you can run, you’ll find yoga challenging. If intensity is what you are after, you might want to gravitate toward a more challenging practice like vinyasa, power yoga, hot yoga, or Ashtanga .
7. YOGA IS GOING TO BE WAY TOO HARD.
There will be challenges, but your yoga teacher will suggest various versions of a pose or offer modifications that make a challenging pose more accessible. And by the way, you get to take a rest whenever you want!
8. EVERYONE IN CLASS IS GOING TO BE WATCHING ME. AND PROBABLY LAUGHING.
Once you start Yoga you will soon discover it’s a whole lot harder to stay balanced if your looking at everyone else! In short, your fellow Yogis won’t be paying that much attention to what you’re doing because they’ll be busy paying attention to what they’re doing and trying not to fall!
9. SOME OF THE PEOPLE WHO TAKE YOGA ARE PRETTY WACKY.
I’m not going to disagree with this one, but are you telling me that difference is a bad thing? You may even warm to the occasional conversation about energy, the balance of your chakras, or whether you are constitutionally more like wind or water.
10. THE TRUTH IS, I KIND OF LIKE MY LIFE THE WAY IT IS, AND IF I END UP GETTING INTO THIS YOGA THING, I’M GOING TO HAVE TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY THE SITAR, SPEND MY LIFE SAVINGS ON CRYSTALS, ESSENTIAL OILS, AND PILGRIMAGES TO INDIA, AND CHANGE MY NAME TO WHATEVER IS SANSKRIT FOR MOONBEAM LOTUS NECTAR.
You will not have to do any of these things. Unless, of course, you want to.
Why not book a free class at YourFreeYoga